As most of you may know, I assisted Damaris Mia this past Saturday with a fabulous wedding. I feel extremely blessed to have been able to shoot my first wedding & also second shoot for the first time all within passing my first year mark in the photography business. After shooting the first wedding as the primary photography I blogged about it here, so now I'm sharing my thoughts on this too. Hoping it can help someone who has never done it or will be soon!
SIDE NOTE: Luckily for me, this wasn't the first time working with Damaris - she's very talented, sweet & definitely a rising star. Earlier this year she put together a styled shoot & invited me to join her, check it out here. It was a great learning experience for me and I am forever grateful D, I hope you know this.
I never like to make my post go on for days, so I will do my best to keep it short & to the point. My duties as the second shooter were as follows:
- Dress accordingly - this was discussed days prior through email
- Ask primary for game plan of the whole day (don't want to smother with questions throughout the day) knowing before is key
- Stay clear of main photographer at ALL times
- Remember that you are there to compliment main photographer
- Find different angles to shoot
- Offer to carry equipment bags
- Shoot candids of bride+groom and guest
- During down time offer snack or energy bar ;)
- Make sure primary is hydrated throughout the day
- As primary was taking family formals, I was inside the reception hall taking detail shots of table settings, flower arrangements, cake, etc... *Note* If Naomi wouldn't have been there to assist with formals, more than likely I would have been helping direct family unless told otherwise
- Keep speaking to a minimal, unless asked for opinion or suggestions
- ONLY pass out the main photographers business card
The bride & groom opted to do a first look session before the ceremony which left plenty of time for family formals and alleviated stress on their pictures, so I was asked to take the groom ahead and prep him to see his soon to be wife for the first time that day. It was a wonderful moment full of emotions. Image below was seconds before...
Cannot wait to share more from this excellent wedding, but as the second shooter, I MUST LET THE MAIN PHOTOGRAPHER BLOG HER IMAGES FIRST :)
If this post has been helpful, talk to me. I'd love to hear from you!
We are officially 15 days away from 2011~! HAPPY THURSDAY